Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2021

Finally A Car

 I have been holding out for almost 7 months. Seven months without a car! Having spent my wasted youth in San Diego, California, you should know that from the time I was 18, I have had cars. Let's take a little trip down memory lane.

Not my car... but just like it
My first car was an 1958 MGA. My Dad thought I was crazy, but I earned the money and bought it, anyway. About the 2nd or 3rd time driving, I had a little accident, but nothing big. I ended up driving it to San Jose State college, when I enrolled in 1965. A funny story about that. The car developed a starter problem and needed a shove and a popping the clutch to get it going. One night, coming back from my father's house to college, the car stopped and I needed help to get it going. Some nice fellows came along, with a gas can, looking for an open station because their car had run out of gas. I offered to take them to the station, if they would push the car for me. And off we went.

When we got back to their car, they were very messy, trying to get the gas into the filler tube, so I offered to do it, myself. Suddenly, we were surrounded by cop cars, flashlights and orders to put our hands in the air. It turns out they had just robbed a local business of their payroll and were attempting to flee when they ran out of gas. They admitted that I had nothing to do with their plan and the sergeant who was holding me in the back of a police car, let me go with a warning to make better choices.

Just like mine
Anyway, that was my first car, which got put up on blocks to store, when I went into the Air Force. Years later, when I came back from a tour in Vietnam, it was waiting for me, so I rebuilt the engine and used it for a while.

My next car, which I bought while stationed at Norton Air Force Base in San Bernardino was a little Nash Rambler. It don't know why I bought it, but I drove it for years. Then I went through a series of sports cars: TR3's, Austin Healey's, Jaguars... you name it, I bought it, fixed it up and sold them. The problem was... the price I paid, the materials I used and the price I sold them for always ended up losing me money. But I sold them fast. This is why I am not rich.

Much like one of my 3 TR3's
I eventually bought 3 TR3's at various times. Now these cars have
a unique system of locking the bonnet (hood for you Americans). They use a little square key, that turns 2 bonnet locks on the front of the hood. There is also a safety catch to prevent the hood from flying away, in the even that you forget to lock it down. Of course, none of my cars had that safety catch, and as a result, I damaged 3 hoods.

Here is what happens when you forget to lock down a TR3 hood. You are driving along after having filled up your car and checked the fluids. Wind is going through your hair with the top down, when suddenly there is a little rumbling, the hood begins to flutter and it suddenly goes straight up in the air, crashing across the top of the windscreen, leaving a nasty crease and it hits your head just hard enough to give you a splitting headache and breaks both hinges in two.

Hood Straps
Now you would think that having that happen once, you would never do it again. Except weeks later, while in San Diego looking to purchase a used hood from a junk yard, after having filled up the car and checked the fluids... driving along the freeway... rumble... flutter, but in this case, since the hinges were already broken - it just floats away in the wind to land somewhere behind me. This time, when I bought the replacement hood and hinges, I invested in a set of leather straps, which reminded me more than those little chrome buttons.

I would like to think this is the end of it, but several years later, when I found another 2nd hand TR3 in need of much work, while driving it back to my Mom's house... well you know what happened. But I was still thrilled and when I got home, I proudly announced, "Mom, come out and look. A Triumph!" Her reply was, "Over what".

Anyway... there are many more auto related stories, but I have gotten off the track. Back to my purchase in Portugal.

First of all, there is finding a car. There are several good listing sites (OLX and Stand Virtual) where you can search and determine criteria for your purchase. Then when you find a suitable vehicle, the fun begins.

2010 Peugot 107 Automatic
There is insurance to get (I bought mine from our bank). Insurance for the year (a basic policy with no comprehensive) cost me 372€. Then there is a transfer form to fill out and sign with the seller. Usually, you go to an attorney, and in this case I paid 70€ for the service.

After that, there is a yearly inspection (32€) and road tax, which I am told in 100€ for my 2010 Peugot 107.

After taking the train down to Lisbon and making the purchase, my wife and I drove back home very satisfied. We could have spent more and gotten a better car, but for the minimal use we plan for it, this little car should do just fine.

1 comment:

  1. How fitting you bought a Peugeot after all those years you lived on Peugeot Sound. But seriously, I never saw so many Peugeot, Citroën, Renault, Alpine, DS, Aixam, Microcar, Ligier, Venturi, Panhard, & PGO as I did last month in Bordeaux. The French are certainly loyal to the home team.

    ReplyDelete